Banks and credit unions provide the best places for cashing checks for two big reasons. The first one is that account holders can cash a check for free at a bank or credit union. Even some credit unions don’t charge check-cashing fees to non-customers. Second, you can cash large checks and almost any type of check at a bank or credit union.
So why would anyone want to cash a check at a liquor store for a fee? Especially when banks are doing it for free to their customers? There are shortcomings.
The free check cashing services at banks and credit unions won’t work for all the people at all the time. First, banks close early and have limited hours. You’ll be lucky to find any bank open after 5 pm or 6 pm. If you work a 9-to-5, it means that you’ll need to leave work early to make banking hours work for you.
There’s also the issue of the unbanked population. According to the FDIC, approximately 7 million households, or 5.4%, didn’t have a bank account in 2019. Unbanked people don’t have access to banking services at a traditional bank.
The modern consumer is also busy and needs the freedom and flexibility to run errands and access finances under one roof. After a long day of work, you don’t want to rush to beat the normal banking hours. It makes more sense to go directly to the nearby liquor store to cash a check and get your favorite drink at one place.
Are there liquor stores that cash checks near me? Finding one will help you save, and an otherwise mandatory trip to the bank! It’s even worse to drive to your local bank to find out it’s closed.
Short Answer: Luckily, many grocery stores have liquor & check to cash near me. Walmart, Albertsons, Safeway, Fred Meyer, and Kroger are among the top places. That means you can shop for groceries, buy liquor, and cash a check at the same place. What a convenience!
Liquor license laws restrict most liquor stores from offering money services like cashing checks.
In this article, we’ll help you understand the restrictions surrounding liquor store personal check-cashing services and give you a list of places that offer financial services.
Can Liquor Stores Cash Checks?
Liquor license laws vary among different cities and states. Specific state laws restrict liquor stores from offering any money services, including check cashing services.
Due to a wide variation in inter-state liquor sales licenses, it becomes difficult to deal with these unfavorable laws. You will find only a handful of multi-state liquor store chains with banking services. It is even rare to find nationwide liquor stores.
To make it even more complicated, some states are ABC states. When a state is “alcohol beverage control” or ABC state, it means that government agencies control liquor sales at the state’s wholesale level. 17 of the US states are ABC and are represented by the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association(NABCA)
According to NABCA, out of the 17 ABC states, 13 of them control liquor’s retail sale through designated agents or government-run liquor stores. Eight states don’t allow grocery chains to sell liquor.
Do you see? The inter-state regulations vary when it comes to liquor license laws. It makes it difficult to find any independent liquor stores that cash checks.
Where Are Liquor Stores Near Me That Cash Checks?
You can still find liquor stores near you that cash checks. It is important to know that these are not independent liquor stores. Largely, these are supermarkets that have liquor stores within. They are your best bet when you want to shop for groceries, buy liquor, and cash a check at the same time.
Unlike banks, these stores offer very flexible hours of operation. Many of them are open late at night and on weekends. It’s possible to cash a check at these stores as late as 11 pm; Meijer and Winn-Dixie are good examples. Places like King Soopers, Walmart, and Stop & Shop run 24 hours in several locations!
The days of the week and time of the day at which you can purchase alcohol from these stores vary based on city and state laws. For example, you can’t purchase alcohol in some stores on Sunday, but you can cash a check!
Here is a rundown of the 23 best liquor stores near me that cash checks.
1. Food Lion
Food Lion has over 1,000 grocery stores that also sell liquor in the southeast.
- Types: Personal, computer-generated payrolls, stimulus, traveler’s, and refund checks
- Limit: Payroll, government, and stimulus checks up to $1,000; traveler’s up to $499.99 and personal and rebate up to $50 over the purchase
- Fee: Check cashing fees vary by location
- Requirements: All forms of ID must be up to date; will not accept two-party checks
- Other services: Lotto, coin counting, money order
- Hours: Open late until 9 pm at most locations, including weekends
Find a Food Lion with a liquor store near me that cash personal checks.
Albertsons is one of the largest drug and food retailers in the US in over 35 states. They sell beer, wine, and liquor with regular weekly sales.
- Types: Payroll, personal, government, and stimulus checks
- Limit: Up to $250 for personal checks; government, stimulus, and payroll limits vary by store
- Fee: Vary by store
- Requirements: Valid ID
- Other services: Western Union money orders, Coinstar, copies, fax services, stamps
- Hours: Regular store hours are usually 7:30 am to 8:30 pm, if it’s not a 24 grocery store
Find an Albertsons nearby state with liquor check cashing near me.
3. Benny’s Package Store
Benny’s is a family-owned liquor store that sells fine-quality wine and beer in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Types: Payroll, income tax refunds, insurance, government, lottery, 401k plans, and settlement checks
- Hours: M-Th: 10 am to 7 pm; Fri-Sat: 10 am to 9 pm
Learn more about Benny’s Package Store here that sells alcohol.
4. Cork & Bottle Check Cashing Liquor Store
Cork & Bottle Liquors has domestic and imported beers and a variety of spirits and wine in Laurel, Maryland.
- Types: Business, commercial, insurance, court settlements, federal and state tax refunds, stimulus, 401k distributions, retirement benefits, lottery, payroll, personal, and accidental settlement checks
- Fee: Check cashing prices are $1 for $100 or less, 1.25% for $101-$799, $800-$2999 for 1.5%, and 2% for $3,000 or more.
- Requirements: Proper identification is required
- Other services: Bill payment, sells prepaid cards, notary service, ATM, lotto
- Hours: Monday-Saturday from 9 am to 10 pm
Learn more about Cork & Bottle Liquors here.
5. Fred Meyer
Fred Meyer has over 130 locations in the US that sell everything from apparel, home décor, groceries, consumer electronics with good laptops, fresh flowers, costume jewelry, and liquor.
- Types: Government and payroll checks
- Limit: $5,000
- Fee: $3 for checks up to $2,000 and $5 for checks between $2,001 to $5,000
- Requirements: Valid ID including driver’s license, state ID, military, matricula consular, resident alien, and US passport.
- Other services: Fuel stations, flowers, stamps, sells money orders
- Hours: Open until 9 pm Monday-Saturday and Sunday’s until 6 pm
Instead of using their gas station to cash checks, you’ll need to go inside the grocery store.
Find Fred Meyer here with liquor stores near me that cash payroll checks.
6. Giant Eagle
Giant Eagle has over 210 locations in Indiana, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, and West Virginia.
- Types: Personal, government, stimulus, payroll, and traveler’s checks
- Limit: $30 limit for personal and traveler’s checks when you get cashback on purchases.
- Fee: Fees vary by store
- Requirements: They require you to have a Giant Eagle Advantage card to cash a check. The Giant Eagle customer service desk gives you a card with a valid photo ID.
- Other services:
- Hours: Normally 7 am with a late-night close at 10 pm.
Find a Giant Eagle liquor store nearby here.
Hannaford has over 180 locations in the northeast, with most of the grocery stores in Maine.
- Types: Payroll, government, stimulus, and pension checks; all must be preprinted and not handwritten.
- Limit: One check for up to $1,000 and two checks up to $1,200 in total
- Fee: Typically a $1 flat fee, though it can vary
- Requirements: You cannot cash a check instantly at Hannaford. Customers must apply in-store for financial services, which can take up to five days. Though, you can instantly get cashback with a personal check, and it doesn’t require a waiting period.
- Other services: Pharmacy, gift cards, order groceries online, rug cleaner rentals, DVD rental, coin counting machine, sells postage stamps, party balloons, floral arrangements, and liquor
- Hours: Most stores are open until 10 pm.
Find a nearby Hannaford liquor department here.
Hy-Vee has over 260 retail stores in the Midwest, including Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. Each store is independently owned, and check cashing policies vary.
- Types: Only payroll checks that are preprinted (not handwritten)
- Limit: $2,000-$5,000 at most stores
- Fee: $3 flat fee for checks up to $1,000 and $6 for anything over
- Requirements: In-state identification is required
- Other services: Floral, cheap meat, pharmacy, wine and spirits, Western Union money transfer and money orders, postage stamps, dry cleaning, and Rug Doctor rental
- Hours: Some locations offer 24-hour check cashing during business hours
Find a Hy-Vee liquor store that cashes payroll checks 24-hours a day here.
9. King Soopers
King Soopers has over 110 grocery and liquor stores primarily located in Colorado and one in Wyoming.
- Types: Payroll, government, stimulus, child support, insurance, tax refund, and corporate checks
- Limit: Varys by location
- Fee: $3-$5
- Requirements: Social security or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and approved ID including passport, state-issued, driver’s license, resident alien ID, matricula consular ID, military, or tribal nation ID. They will not cash a check without an ID.
- Other services: Bill pay, send money, Coinstar kiosk, dry ice, and fuel stations.
- Hours: 7 am to 9 pm varies by location
Fina a King Soopers liquor store department that cashes checks here.
Kroger is one of the largest grocery stores with over 2,700 locations across the US.
- Types: Government, stimulus, payroll, insurance, business, and tax refund checks
- Limit: Varies
- Fee: $3 to $5
- Requirements: Know your SSN or TIN and bring ID such as driver’s license, state-issued ID, passport, military, resident alien, tribal nation, or matricula consular ID.
- Other services: ATM, liquor, money order, dry ice
- Hours: Most locations open at 7 am and close between 9–11 pm.
Find a nearby Kroger supermarket with a liquor department here.
11. Market Basket
Market Basket supermarket has about 80 locations throughout New England.
- Types: Payroll
- Limit: Up to $50
- Fee: 1.25% of total amount (vary by location)
- Requirements: Two forms of ID
- Other services: Bill pay, Western Union money orders, and fund transfers
- Hours: 7 am to 8 pm.
Find a Market Basket with a liquor store nearby here.
Meijer has over 240 in six Midwest states selling apparel, home electronics, beauty, and more.
- Types: Payroll, personal, government, and traveler’s checks.
- Limit: Up to $1,000 for payroll and up to $1,999.99 for government checks
- Requirements: Meijer customers must get approval using Certegy verification and a valid photo ID. It can initially take up to seven business days for approval to cash a payroll or government check.
- Other services: Gas stations, Shipt, gift cards, pharmacy, sells Western Unions money orders, 48-hour BISSELL carpet cleaner rental, stamps, , and party store that cash checks
- Hours: Open 7 days a week with the store opening at 6 am. Most locations are open until 9 pm to midnight. Many of the Meijer gas stations are open 24 hours.
Find a Meijer with a late-night liquor store here.
13. Mel’s Liquors
Mel’s Liquors and Check Cashing has various beer, spirits, and wine, along with lottery and financial services.
- Types: Business, commercial, insurance, court, federal and state tax refunds, 401k distributions, retirement benefits, accident settlement, payroll, personal, and lottery checks.
- Fees: $1 flat fee for $100 or less and up to 2% for anything over; higher rates for commercial, business, tax refunds, and insurance settlements
- Requirements: Proper ID required; subject to management’s discretion
- Other services: Bill payment, lotto, ATM, and sell money orders
- Hours: Monday-Saturday from 7 am to 10 pm; Sundays from 9 am to 9 pm.
Click here to find more details about Mel’s Liquor store.
Safeway has over 260 grocery stores in Northern California and Hawaii. As the parent company to 21 supermarket brands, they collectively have over 1,300 stores.
- Types: Government, stimulus, and payroll check must be preprinted and not handwritten
- Limit: Up to $1,499
- Fee: $2.25 for every $200
- Requirements: Current form of ID such as a state ID, driver’s license, or passport
- Other services: Rug Doctor rental, money order, ATM services, dry ice
- Hours: Open until might at most locations with some closing between 9 pm or 10 pm.
Find a Safeway near me that has liquors store that cash payroll checks.
Publix supermarket has over 1,250 locations in the Southeastern US, with the majority on the Florida coasts.
- Types: Payroll and personal checks
- Limit: Up to $500 per day for payroll checks and up to $75 per day for personal checks
- Fee: $3-$6 will vary by location
- Requirements: Provide a valid driver’s license, state-issued photo ID, or military ID
- Other services: Sell money orders, Western Union money transfer, retail gift cards, make photocopies, sell stamps
- Hours: Most stores close between 9–10 pm.
Find a nearby Publix that sells liquor here.
See our guide on “Can You Cash a Check at Publix? Money Order Policy Guide.”
Shaw’s supermarket has over 130 locations in Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
- Types: Government and payroll checks
- Limit: $1,500
- Requirements: Provide a valid driver’s license, state-issued ID, military photo ID, passport, or Native American Tribal Photo ID
- Other services: Wedding flowers, pharmacy, money order, liquor department ATM
- Hours: Open seven days a week until 10 pm at most locations
Find a nearby Shaw’s supermarket with liquor for sale here.
17. Southwest Check Cashing & Liquor Store
Southwest Check Cashing and Liquor Store sell a large selection of wine, beer, and premium liquor in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Types: Payroll, personal, tax refund, insurance, accident settlements, 401k distributions, court settlement checks
- Limit: They claim to be one of the “largest single store check cashers in Maryland.”
- Requirements: Proper ID is required and subject to verification and the manager’s discretion
- Other services: Photo ID cards, prepaid Visa cards, notary public, money orders, lottery, and direct deposit
- Hours: Monday-Saturday is generally open 9 am to 8 pm.
Click here to learn more about Southwest Check Cashing and Liquor Store policies.
18. Steve’s Discount Liquors
Steve’s Discount Liquors in Wilmington, Delaware, offers check cashing, utility payment services, and lottery sales. They view themselves as an alternative to cashing a check at a bank.
- Types: Payroll, tax refund, insurance, government and benefits, and rebate checks
- Other services: Tax return services, restaurant, and liquor store
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 9 am to 10 pm, Friday-Saturday 9 am to 11 pm, Sunday 12 pm to 6 pm.
Learn more about Steve’s Discount Liquors and their instant cash for checks policies.
19. Stop & Shop
Stop & Shop has over 400 supermarket locations between the New York Metro and the New England area.
- Types: Payroll, government, and stimulus checks
- Limit: Up to $500
- Fee: $0.50 flat fee
- Requirements: Customers must apply for a check cashing card and be approved before cashing a check
- Other services: Sell stamps, gift cards, pharmacy, ATM, floral, pet goods, and save money on diapers
- Hours: Some stores have 24-hour check cashing while others are open late at night until midnight
Find a nearby Stop & Shop with liquor stores that are still open.
Vons has over 320 grocery stores in Southern California and Southern Nevada.
- Types: Payroll and government checks
- Limit: $1,000, but subject to each store’s available cash
- Fee: $2.25 per $100 check
- Requirements: Checks must be preprinted and not handwritten. Will not cash a third-party check, state-issued ID, or driver’s license is required.
- Other services: Sells both Western Union and MoneyGram money order for a low price, get keys made with a kiosk, stamps, ATM
- Hours: Most locations are open late until 11 pm or midnight
Find a Vons with liquor stores that stay open late here.
Walmart has over 5,000 retail stores nationwide with a vast amount of financial services at each location.
- Types: Payroll, government, stimulus, tax, insurance, cashier’s and retirement checks
- Limit: $2,000-$5,000, depending on the type of check and store
- Fee: $3 for checks up to $1,000 and $6 over $1,000
- Requirements: Valid ID required
- Other financial services: Walmart cashes MoneyGram money orders that are purchased from a Walmart. Though they don’t cash personal checks, a customer can get up to $20 cashback at Walmart with a purchase using a personal check.
- Other store services: Wheel alignment, stamps, buy kerosene, Coinstar, cheap haircuts, make keys, cheap trendy clothes, and party store that cash checks
- Hours: Most locations were open 24-hours a day before COVID and will likely resume their normal hours in the future
See our guide about Walmart check cashing policy and money services with a MoneyCard or Walmart carpet rental guide.
Find a Walmart with a liquor department near me that’s open now.
WinCo Foods has over 100 locations in 10 states in the west and the southwest US.
- Types: Payroll checks
- Limit: $1,000
- Fee: $5 for checks up to $500 and $10 up to $1,000
- Requirements: Only preprinted checks
- Other services: Western Union money transfers up to $1,000, ATM instant cash withdrawals, Coinstar
- Hours: Most locations are open 24 hours
Find a Winco with a liquor store that stays open 24-hours
Winn-Dixie has about 500 grocery stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
- Types: Payroll checks only at accepted locations
- Limit: $1,000; cash up to two checks over seven days
- Fee: $5 flat fee for checks under $500 and $10 for checks between $500-$1,000
- Requirements: No handwritten checks accepted.
- Other services: Discount event tickets, lotto, retail gift cards, floral arrangements, Western Union money transfers
- Hours: Late hours that range from 10 pm to midnight
Find a Winn-Dixie that’s open late and sells alcohol.
Baker’s is the perfect place to buy your favorite alcohol and to get your check cashed at the same time. One of the biggest benefits of cashing your check with Baker’s is its high transaction limits.
Moreover, it has 2000+ outlets all across the country, and its financial services remain open from 8 am to 8 pm throughout the week.
Unlike most other stores, Baker’s can cash a check amount of up to $5000. The transaction fee for checks of up to $2000 and $5000 is $3.50 and $5.50, respectively.
If you have a shopper’s card, you can also get $0.5 cashback on every check you cash.
Here’s a list of the types of checks they cash:
- Government check
- Payroll check
- Tax refund
- Insurance checks
- Business checks
Note: Make sure that you have a valid social security number or tax ID number and a government ID before you drop by Baker’s to cash your check.
Although BI-LO offers cash checking services, they have quite a few limitations.
Keep the following in mind while cashing your check from BI-LO:
- The check amount cannot exceed $500
- The bank’s branch and the selected BI-LO store has to be located in the same state
- You cannot cash handwritten checks
You also can’t cash personal, traveler’s checks, insurance, or even personal checks at BI-LO.
That said, BI-LO is perfect for your emergency cash-checking needs. There are locations all across the south-eastern United States.
Dillion has an impressive variety of beer and wine. Add to that its cash checking services, and you have a great location for both your grocery and finance needs.
With more than 2000 stores, Dillion provides flawless service and doesn’t require any kind of registration or enrollment. Simply bring your check, social security number, and a government ID to any of their stores and get your check cashed.
For Shopper’s cardholders, a $3 fee must be paid in order to cash a check of up to $2000. For checks up to $5000, the fee is $5.50.
Here’s a list of checks that are accepted in Dillion:
- Payroll check
- Government Check
- Income tax refunds
- Debit card cashing
- Child support check
- Insurance settlement
- Business checks
They also accept various government IDs, including driver’s license, military ID, and US passports, making their check cashing services available to all.
Food City might not be able to help you with your money orders, but their cash checking services are certainly helpful. They can cash checks worth up to $1000, with a flat fee of $3 per check. However, this service is only valid on payroll, government, and rebate checks.
Wait, there’s another catch; Food City has a list of approved banks and financial organizations, and they only cash checks issued by their approved institutions. To know if your check falls under their approved list, you’ll have to call your nearest Food City outlet for confirmation.
Food City locations are usually open from 6 am to 12 am. However, store timings might vary depending on a particular outlet’s location.
Best Liquor Stores That Cash Checks Near Me Summary
Banks and credit unions are great places to cash checks of all types without paying fees. It’s only accurate if you are an account holder and can visit during regular bank hours.
Banks cannot compete with grocery stores when it comes to flexible hours of operations and conveniences. If you don’t have a bank or you’re looking to cash a check at an odd hour, finding a liquor store that cash checks near you can be helpful.
Finding independent liquor stores that cash checks are more challenging, but you are sure to find grocery chains with liquor stores inside that offer financial services.
Find a place that sells alcohol, groceries, and cashes checks near you.