If you’re still sending envelopes or holiday cards in the mail, you’ll need to buy some USPS postage stamps.
While you only need one stamp at a time when sending a letter in the mail, most individuals choose to buy stamps in bulk. It ensures you always have stamps on hand when you need them.
Short Answer: The average book of stamps includes 20. It means you always have a few extra stamps on hand to mail last-minute bills. Also, around 1.6 billion holiday cards are mailed each year. So your booklet of stamps is a good start!
Table of Contents
What Is a Stamp Book?
A postage stamp book is a booklet that contains pre-cut sheets of stamps with specific values per sheet. A stamp book is more efficient than purchasing individual stamps for sending documents, letters, holiday cards, or personalized postcards.
Most people prefer stamp books, so they always have them on hand rather than finding a place that sells stamps nearby.
Also, buying stamps in bulk lets you buy book-themed stamps like patriotic, Christmas, flowers, and more.
A benefit to buying postage stamp booklets is they’re Forever Stamps. Since 2011, all USPS first-class one-ounce stamps are Forever Stamps that don’t expire, and you can use them even if the prices go higher. However, rolls of 500, 3,000, and 10,000 stamps are not sold as Forever Stamp and come with a value.
How Many Stamps Are in a Forever Stamp Book?
Forever stamp books contain 20 stamps. A Forever stamp is a postage stamp that can be used on future mailings regardless of any price changes for delivery or the number of ounces being mailed at any point in the future.
The Forever stamp booklets have various themed stamps inside with no difference in price or size. You can buy a book of stamps in themes including sports, hobbies, flowers, holidays, US flags and more.
How Many Stamps Are in a Collectible Stamp Book?
A collectible stamp book has an average of 64 stamps. However, the number of stamps in a collectible varies each year and can be more or less.
A collectible stamp book includes a few pages of postage stamps separated by sheets of oiled paper. The booklet is a thick, hardback book usually containing more stamps than regular books. The booklet is known as the “Collectible Stamp Yearbook” and is typically delivered in thin cardboard wraps.
For example, the 2018 Collectible Stamp Yearbook included 81 different stamps. All of the stamps were carefully preserved on the pages with detailed information about the stamp’s historical context, writer, and importance. The theme was about the people, places, and moments that defined American life.
According to the 2019 Collectible Stamp Yearbook, there were 72 stamps, which decreased by nine from 2018.
You never know how many stamps you’ll get in a yearbook until you start collecting them. So every year is a unique experience for stamp collectors to reflect and celebrate the nation’s culture.
People collect stamps as a hobby because of their rich history and design. Most stamp themes can trace the historical relevance when it was designed.
How Much Does a Book of Stamps Cost?
A book of 20 stamps costs $11.60. The price reflects the cost of a single stamp at 58 cents with 20 in a booklet. However, until January 27, 2019, stamps were only 55 cents, and the book cost $11 with no tax.
Consider buying 100 stamp books or getting postage online for the best price. For example, Costco sells stamps cheaper in booklets of 100.
Where Can I Buy a Book of Stamps?
Most people automatically think about going to their nearest post office to buy stamps. USPS has over 31,000 retail offices in almost every town in the US. However, the post office has limited hours on weekdays and weekends, plus closed on Sundays.
Here’s a list of places to buy a book of stamps:
- USPS: Buy stamps from your local USPS store or its online Postal Store
- Grocery Stores: Publix, Kroger, Vons, Winco, Wegmans
- Pharmacies: CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid
- Retailers: Meijer, Target, Walmart, Sam’s Club
- Gas Stations: ARCO, Chevron, Shell, Texas, Valero, Mobile gas stations
- Convenience Stores – QuikTrip, Kwik Trip, 7-Eleven
- Banks: Fifth Third, KeyBank, Wells Fargo
- Office Supplies Store: Office Depot, Office Max
- Gift Shops: Hallmark stores
- Amazon: The downside of ordering from an eCommerce site is that you cannot order just one. However, Amazon sells books and rolls of stamps in various themes. If you’re a Prime member, they’ll ship them to your house, or Amazon does deliver to a PO box with some caveats.
The UPS Store sells postage stamps, but FedEx doesn’t since they’re a direct competitor of the post office.
See our guide on how to buy stamps at Walmart and Walmart.com.
Where to Get Stamps Cheaper than USPS?
You can get stamps cheaper than the USPS store by buying online. However, you still have to deal with postal services for processing and shipping your postcard, letter, or package. Therefore, the only thing you save by visiting a physical store is potentially some time.
Here is a list of online places that sell discounted stamps cheaper than your nearby USPS:
- eBay: Many auctions or buy now sellers on eBay sell stamps at a discount with free shipping. In most cases, the listings are for rolls of 100 Forever stamps. So you can save money if you’re willing to buy stamps in bulk on eBay.
- Amazon: Most listings are at retail prices or even slightly more expensive if they’re vintage stamps. However, watch Amazon third-party sellers, and you’ll likely find some stamps cheaper than USPS delivered to your house on Saturday and Sunday.
- Stamps.com: The online stamp selling website sells postage stamps at a discount; however, it requires a $17.99 per month membership (plus applicable taxes.) Of course, joining Stamps.com for cheap postage stamps only makes sense if you’re a small or large business that sends a lot of mail.
- BuyDiscountStamps.com: The site generally sells a roll of 100 stamps or a booklet of 20 stamps for a 10% discount. In addition, BuyDiscountStamps.com sells postage stamps with no tax and free shipping on all orders.
- Costco Wholesale: Costco sells first-class Forever stamps in bundles of 100 cheaper than the USPS. Costco members can buy discount booklets of stamps at your nearby warehouse club or Costco.com with free shipping based on the current rates.
See our guide on Costco opening and closing hours for Executive Members.
How Many Stamps in a Book Summary
Stamp book contains 20 first-class postage stamps, with each individual Forever stamp costing 58 cents each. However, USPS sells discounts on first-class postage when buying through third-party vendors online. You can even get stamps cheaper in rolls of 100 at places like Costco.
See our guide saving $10k in a year on daily life.