The Home Depot is the largest home improvement retailer in the United States. It has around 2,300 stores that carry all manner of tools, building supplies, home appliances, and more for DIY and professionals like excavating contractors.
The company does its best to maintain its competitive edge. One of the ways to keep customers happy is with the Home Depot price match & price adjustment policy.
You may not save $10,000 in a year, but you can save big on your next home improvement project by taking advantage of the Home Depot’s low price guarantee.
So, what’s the Home Depot price match and adjustment policy?
Short Answer: Home Depot will price match products from any retailer as long as that product is identical and in stock at both stores. So if you find an identical item from a competitor’s store, ad, or website that’s selling at a lower price, they’ll match it. But, Home Depot will not only match the price and won’t beat it by 10%.
You only have to bring proof that the item is selling at a lower price elsewhere with either a printout of the ad or a photo of the item. In addition, customers get a 30-day price match protection.
Read below for more details about the Home Depot price match policy and how it works.
Does Home Depot Do Price Match?
Yes, Home Depot does a price match for in-store and online orders. The policy will price match products from any retailer if the item is selling at a lower price elsewhere and it’s identical, including brand, size, color, model number, and more. But, again, the product must be in stock at both stores.
The burden of proof is on your shoulders. You’ll need to bring a photo, a receipt, ad copy, or any other document to verify that a similar item is selling at a lower price at a competitor’s store or website. Besides, Home Depot gives you 30-day price match purchase protection.
It also offers a flexible and straightforward price matching for online shopping; they will price match any online retailer.
Here’s how to get a price match in a Home Depot store:
- Get Proof it’s Cheaper: Find proof with either an ad, webpage, receipt, or printout for a similar product that’s cheaper at a competitor.
- Visit the Customer Service Desk: With your proof in hand, visit your local Home Depot store and go to the customer service desk near the front of the store.
- Produce the Proof: Provide all the details requested to get your merchandise discount.
- Relax and Wait: The Home Depot associate will verify, if necessary, that the item is cheaper elsewhere and in stock. They may call to confirm the competing item is in stock. Unless it’s a 24-hour home improvement store, they may be closed if you’re too early or later in the day. Once confirmed, you’ll get the product discounted or a refund if it’s a prior purchase.
Does Home Depot Price Match Plus 10 Percent?
For years, Home Depot used to price match plus 10 percent. But recently, in 2020, they removed the 10% “price beat” from their price matching policy.
However, you can still find that some Home Depot stores, especially in Canada, still offer a 10 percent extra discount. Also, it never hurts to ask or try to negotiate a lower price. When you bring your proof, ask whether they still price match plus 10% at your local store.
Does Home Depot Price Match Appliances?
No, Home Depot does not price match appliances. The reason is, most home appliances are sold at membership-based warehouse retailers, which means they are sold at a discounted price.
Since Home Depot doesn’t price match already discounted deals, its store won’t price match home appliances, like freezers, old refrigerators, home humidifiers, and more. But, maybe you can negotiate a discount for a free appliance removal or an extension cord for a refrigerator vs. around $25 for haul away service.
Does Home Depot Price Match Online Prices?
Yes, Home Depot prices match online prices when shopping on the HomeDepot.com website. However, they’ll factor in shipping costs, and the items cannot be from a third-party seller.
The item must be currently in-stock at the competitor’s website and available to ship to your address without having to wait. Also, be aware that they’ll match the lower price but no longer beat it by 10%.
Here’s how Home Depot price match works online:
- Find a Cheaper Price: Scour competitors’ websites to find products listed at a lower price than what’s listed at HomeDepot.com.
- Contact Customer Support: Use the live chat on the website to make your case to customer support.
- Describe the Product: Let them know about the product and the price difference. Supply any details, like the competitor’s webpage or any other info that the employee may ask for a discount and make money fast.
- Allow Verification Time: Give them time to verify the price if necessary. Then, if all is good, you’ll get the product price matched.
Does Home Depot Price Match Other Home Depots?
Yes, Home Depot stores will price match HomeDepot.com for online purchases but not for brick-and-mortar purchases. However, it’s upon the store manager at each specific Home Depot location to decide whether or not to price match other Home Depot stores.
Does Home Depot Price Match Costco?
No, Home Depot doesn’t price match Costco. That’s because Costco is a membership-only wholesale club that sells items in bulk quantities to club members at deeply discounted prices.
Since Home Depot does not price match already discounted deals, it won’t match Costco or any other retailer that requires membership, like Sam’s Club.
Does Home Depot Price Match Lowe’s?
Yes, Home Depot price matches Lowe’s merchandise. Lowe’s is the second-largest home improvement retailer and a fierce competitor. To compete, Home Depot will price-match any identical items selling at a cheaper price at Lowe’s stores and Lowes.com website.
That’s because Home Depot is a type of store that has the best price match policy for high customer satisfaction. Also, in places like Canada, Home Depot will beat the price by 10%. But, they won’t match special offers, like Lowe’s senior discounts.
Does Home Depot Price Match Target?
Yes, Home Depot price matches Target. According to Home Depot price match and price adjustment policy, they’ll price match any identical item in stock from any other retailer.
That includes any products found in Target, as long as the items are identical and in stock.
So if Target is selling power tools or bathroom supplies at a lower price, bring in the weekly ad or your mobile device to show the cheaper merchandise.
Does Home Depot Match Amazon?
Yes, Home Depot will price match Amazon for online purchases. However, the item you’re looking to price match must be sold and shipped by Amazon, not a third-party seller.
Also, the items must be identical in all aspects. Home Depot will also factor in shipping costs and the item’s availability to ship to your address.
For in-store purchases, it’s up to the store manager at your local Home Depot store to decide whether or not to offer a price match with Amazon.
Does Home Depot Price Match With a Competitor Coupon?
No, Home Depot does not price match with a competitor coupon. Coupons are a type of implied discount. Home Depot doesn’t allow price matches on purchases that are already discounted.
Does Home Depot Price Match Black Friday Sale Prices?
Yes, Home Depot will price match Black Friday sale prices from its competitors. While most retail stores don’t price match on Black Friday deals, Home Depot does it to remain true to their lowest price guarantee policy.
Once you find a deal, take the ad and head to your nearby Home Depot store for a Black Friday price match.
What is Home Depot’s Price Adjustment Policy?
The Home Depot’s price adjustment policy allows customers to request a price reduction on general merchandise products such as appliances, home laminators, lumber, SodaStream carbonators, faucet water filters, and home décor if the item drops in price within 30-days of purchase.
For instance, you can request a price adjustment if you buy an item at $100, and the price drops to $80 before 30 days elapse from the purchase date.
Like the price match policy, products must be identical, and customers must provide proof of the original price they paid and the new price. So make sure the product features the same brand, model, weight, color, quantity, and more. Again, the item must still be in-stock at Home Depot to get a refund.
The Home Depot Low Price Guarantee covers a range of merchandise, including:
- Power tools, excluding rentals like carpet cleaner rentals
- Small and large furniture
- Appliances such as refrigerators, dishwashers, microwaves, washers, air conditioners, home humidifiers, and more.
- Hardware tools like doorknobs, hinges, drawer slides, casters, hooks, etc.
Installation fees, customized products, key copy duplicate prices, or close-down sale items are not eligible for the Low Price Guarantee.
Though they don’t specifically discuss perennials, shrubs, trees, and all types of succulents in their price match policy, Home Depot does have a 1-year guarantee. It also includes holiday trees, Christmas trees, garland, and wreaths.
How Long is the Home Depot’s Price Protection?
Home Depot’s price guarantee is 30 days long. That means you have 30 days from the purchase date to adjust the price with proof the same item is selling at a lower price. The countdown begins on the purchase or delivery date.
To get a Home Depot price match after purchase, you’ll need to have the original receipt as proof that you bought the item at a different price and not the current one. Once 30 days have elapsed, Home Depot will not accept any price adjustment requests.
Does Home Depot Honor a Sale Price After Purchase?
So, will Home Depot refund me if the price drops?
Yes, Home depot honors the sale price after purchase. Per Home Depot’s price drop policy, the retailer offers price protection within 30 days from the purchase date.
That means if something you’ve already purchased goes on sale, you can bring your receipt back to get a refund. They’ll give you the difference between the original price paid and the current sale price.
Thus, you can save a few dollars from your purchase if a better deal arises within 30 days.
What Brands are Excluded from Home Depot Price Match Policy?
Not all products enjoy the Home Depot price match policy. It helps to know what things are excluded, so you save time and energy looking for price matches on ineligible items. The excluded items include:
- Custom or special order products, like customs doors, window coverings, or making keys
- Volume or wholesale discounts
- Third-party or discounted items bought from an online marketplace like Amazon
- Open-box reconditioned and refurbished items
- Items with sales tax excluded
- Rebates, free offers, bundled offers, and one-time-only promotions
- Pricing from membership-only retail wholesalers, like Costco, Sam’s Club, and BJ’s.
- Competitor pricing due to misprint or typographical error
- Competitor bid and auctions site pricing on places like eBay or other sites like Craigslist
Home Depot is also less likely to offer price adjustments on installation fees. Especially for installations handled by third-party contractors who fulfill or deliver these orders.
Again, items such as carpets or blinds whose price is determined per measurements are not eligible for price adjustments.
Home Depot associates also won’t offer price reductions due to a retailer’s mistake or typographical errors.
Will Home Depot Price Adjust Without a Receipt?
No, Home Depot will not price adjust without a receipt. To prove you paid a higher price, customers must provide proof of purchase, such as a store receipt or an online invoice.
If you have lost your receipt, you can have Home Depot associates reprint it for you within 30-days if you paid with a credit card or debit card. However, they cannot pull up your sales receipt for cash payments, personal checks, or PayPal.
Purchases made via Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, Commercial Accounts, or Commercial Revolving Card remain in the Home Depot system for 365 days; you can have the receipt reprinted upon request.
The point is, you must produce the receipt as proof of the original price paid. Your price adjustment request will be declined without the receipt.
Does Home Depot Accept Competitor Coupons?
No, Home Depot doesn’t accept competitor coupons.
However, it may vary from one store to another depending on the leniency of the store manager. That means you may get lucky to find some Home Depot locations that accept coupons from competitor stores, such as Lowe’s 10-percent-off online coupons.
Give it a shot at your local store and see if they give you the deal. If they don’t, you’ve got nothing to lose. So instead, walk to the Home Depot competitor’s store and make the purchase.
Ways To Save Money at Home Depot
Apart from the Home Depot price match and price adjustment policy, it offers a couple of ways to help customers save money on home improvement purchases. The deals range from little-known discounts to well-known shopping deals.
Top ways to save money at Home Depot include:
- Use a cash back credit card with rotating categories and save 5%
- Take advantage of the seasonal sales schedule, i.e., discounts on Black Friday or post-holiday sales, like buying hay bales after Halloween.
- Use cashback apps
- Buy discounted Home Depot gift cards at resale sites like Raise.com and save around 4% off the original price.
- Browse the ends of the aisles for discounted products
- Enroll in a subscription service and save 5% on purchase and free delivery
- Check the online savings center and find the latest discounted products
- Sign up for Home Depot’s email list — and get $5 off your next $50 in-store purchase
- Get the Home Depot military 10% discount for in-store purchases up to $500
- Save on bulk orders
- Sign up for the Home Depot garden club and get $5
- Ask for discounts and negotiate for lower prices
- Get a tax exemption and avoid paying taxes
- Sign up for Home Depot emails or texts to receive deals right in your inbox or phone
Home Depot Price Match & Price Adjustment Policy Summary
You can get substantial savings on your next home improvement project via the Home Depot price match and price adjustment policy.
Your only burden is finding and producing proof that an identical item is selling at a lower price at a competitor’s website or in-store at a different retail location. Home Depot will price match it, and you may even get an extra 10% “price beat” discount on top of it at some locations.
And the good thing is, the price match policy applies to both in-store and online purchases of identical items.
As if that’s not enough, Home Depot will give you a 30-day price adjustment guarantee on eligible items. If the item’s price drops below its original price within 30 days, visit your local store to get a refund for the difference.
That said, not all items are eligible for the Home Depot price match and price adjustment policy. For instance, they don’t offer price matches on appliances, competitor coupons, or other items sold at a discounted price.
Don’t forget to carry the printout, ad copy, website page, or the original receipt to prove your claim.