The world is changing, and so are the ways we pay for things. For example, you can now use your iPhone or Apple Watch to purchase at over 33 gas stations near you.
Apple Pay is a contactless payment system that works with Apple products such as the iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac. In addition, Apple Pay is more secure than credit cards and cash because it doesn’t share any financial information with merchants, so they don’t know who you are or your card number.
Some popular gas stations that accept Apple pay include 7-Eleven, Exxon Mobil, Texaco, Shell, and ARCO.
The days of waiting in line for change or using a credit card reader that has undoubtedly seen thousands of dirty cards are gone. Contactless payment technology like Apple Pay, Venmo, Google Pay, PayPal, Samsung Pay, Zelle, and Chime are moving us to a cashless society.
So, do gas stations take Apple Pay?
Short Answer: Yes, many fuel stations accept Apple Pay. It’s a quick, easy, and safe method to pay for gas at your local gas station. You can even buy your gas with your Apple Watch if you forget your wallet or phone runs out of power.
How To Pay for Gas With Apple Pay?
Instead of using a debit card, Reliacard, credit card, or cash, you can use Apple Pay on your Apple devices to pay at the pump near you. Because Apple Pay doesn’t share your credit card number with the retailer, your information is less likely to be stolen. Instead of using your credit card number, it creates a unique transaction code for each payment.
You can use Apple Pay at a gas station by following these simple steps:
- Check if your local gas station accepts Apple Wallet as a payment method
- Open the Wallet app on your mobile device, such as your Apple Watch
- Press the side button twice
- Verify your identity using your face ID, Touch ID, or password
- Place your device near the contactless payment icon
- Your transaction is complete when you see a checkmark and the work “Done.”
Note that you may select your preferred debit or credit card when making a payment. For example, the Apple card in your wallet has a default, but you can choose a different card for each transaction.
What Gas Stations Take Apple Pay?
You can use the Apple Maps app to find a nearby gas station that takes Apple Wallet.
We have compiled a list of gas stations that accept Apple pay near you.
- 7-Eleven – Accepts Apple Pay wallet in-store only
- ARCO – Link your unexpired debit card to your mobile wallet to pay for gas at the pump and inside the convenience store
- BP/Amoco – The BPme app is required on your mobile device at the pump or in-store with the Wallet app
- Casey’s General Stores – Recently added iOS support for Apple Pay
- Chevron – Use the Chevron app or your smartphone to pay for fuel inside and out
- CITGO – Pay for gas with Apple Pay at select locations
- Circle K – Select locations allow Apple Pay for gas
- Conoco – Some places take Apple Pay to pay for gas
- Costco – Accepts Apple Pay with a Visa in the wallet
- Cumberland Farms – Apple Pay app is accepted at all locations in the convenience store
- Delta Sonic – Pay for gas with Apple Pay at select locations inside the store
- ExxonMobil – The Rewards+ app is required for mobile payments
- Family Express – Only accept Apple Pay contactless payments inside the convenience store
- Kum & Go – Requires iPhone app to pay
- Kwik Fill/Red Apple – Apple Pay app is accepted at select gas stations
- Kwik Trip/Kwik Star – Apple Pay is accepted at special gas stations
- Love’s – It’s gas stations take Apple Pay inside the convenience store
- Marathon – Accepts it at select locations
- Maverik – It accepts Apple Pay linked with your Adventure Club card
- Meijer – Select Meijer 24-hour gas stations take Apple Pay
- Phillips 66 – Specific gas stations take Apple Pay at the pump
- QuikTrip – Apple Pay can be used at select stations
- RaceTrac – All locations accept Apple Pay
- RaceWay – All areas take Apple Pay for gas
- Shell – Most Shell locations accept Apple Pay for gas
- Sheetz – Most gas stations take it, except for the small, rural ones
- Sunoco – Use the Sunoco app or your smartphone to pay for fuel inside and out
- Texaco – Most stations take it, except for a few in the Midwest
- TravelCenters of America (TA) – Uses an updated version
- Speedway – Takes Apple Pay for gas at all locations, and some sell kerosene
- Sunoco – Most places take Apple payments using the Sunoco app
- Texaco – Download the Texaco app to pay for gas at the pump or in the store
- Valero – Apple Pay is accepted at select locations
- Wawa – Using the Wawa app or pay with Apple Pay in the convenience store.
More places accept Apple Pay, and our list may not be exhaustive as more update their contactless technology.
You can also check our article on “Gas Stations That Accept EBT Near Me.”
How To Find The Nearest Apple Pay Gas Station?
You can use the Apple Maps app if you’re looking for a gas station that takes Apple Pay nearby. Finding the closest gas station is simple if you can maneuver around the Maps app.
Let’s look at how to find the nearest gas station on various Apple devices.
On an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
- Open the Maps app on your iPhone, Pad, or iPod touch and type in your current address or search for the gas station in a select location you want to visit.
- Swipe down when you’ve found a place at the bottom of the page for additional information.
- Now scroll down until you come across the option “Useful To Know.” You’ll see the phrase “Accept Apple Pay” if it’s a gas station with Apple technology to process your payment.
On a Mac
- Open the map and locate a place you want to check.
- Hit the icon (i) at the bottom of the page, and you’ll see information about the location.
- Scroll down until you come across the option “Useful To Know.”
- It will say “Accept Apple Pay” if the fuel station uses Apple contactless bill paying.
Does Shell Accept Apple Pay?
Yes, most Shell stations accept Apple Pay. Users with Apple Pay, Android Pay, or PayPal can pay at the pump using the Shell app’s mobile device. You can download the Shell app via the Apple App Store.
Does Exxon Mobil Gas Station Accept Apple Pay?
Yes, Exxon Mobil gas stations accept Apple pay. You can use your iPhone or Apple Watch to pay at the pump. All you need to do is hold your iPhone near the contactless reader and wait for a beep and vibration.
Shell gas pumps also accept Alexa-enabled devices and say, “Hey Alexa, pay for gas.” It will ask you to confirm the pump number then charge your Amazon Pay account.
Does Costco Take Apple Pay at the Pump?
Yes, Costco gas stations accept Apple Pay only with a Visa card in your Wallet app. A Costco gas station will process your Apple Pay payment if the pump has an NFC reader linked to your Visa debit or card in your Wallet. Alternatively, you can place your credit card or debit card with an EMV smart chip next to the NFC reader for contactless processing.
As of 2021, most Costco pumps were upgraded, but all locations still don’t have updated contactless payment technology.
Does Sam’s Club Gas Station Take Apple Pay?
No, Sam’s Club gas station does not take Apple Pay. It’s because Sam’s Warehouse Club wants its customers to use the “Scan and Go” technology used in the Sam’s Club mobile app. Sam’s Scan & Go payment processing is an alternative to Walmart taking Apple Pay.
The Scan and Go app can be used by Sam’s Club and Walmart+ customers. Scan and Go lets you scan your items while shopping, pay through the app, and skip the check-out line. As a result, it makes Sam’s Club’s shopping experience much better.
In addition, sometimes Sam’s runs promotions to encourage you to use Scan & Go by offering 5% cashback with your linked Sam’s Club Mastercard.
See our guide on how to use a gas station air pump.
Does Kroger Gas Station Take Apple Pay?
Kroger does not accept Apple Pay at their fuel stations as of 2021. Instead, customers can download the Kroger Pay app on their iPhones to pay at self-checkouts and cash registers in the grocery store.
Kroger grocery stores accept EBT SNAP, debit cards with a PIN, credit cards, Amex, Kroger gift cards, personal checks, and cash as payment methods.
See our guide on Kroger liquor hours on when it stops selling alcohol.
Why Is Apple Pay Not Working at the Gas Station?
The most common reasons for Apple Pay not working is because your iPhone is low on a battery charge or the store can’t accept Apple Pay.
However, Apple Pay not working is an inconvenience when you don’t carry cash around. The Apple Pay servers could be down, a faulty digital payment terminal, or problems with a particular credit or debit card.
Another reason why your Apple Pay won’t work at a gas station because your Wallet app is frozen. Do the following to unfreeze your Wallet app:
- Force the app to close
- Log out of your Apple ID account
- Restart your device
- Re-enter your Apple ID password
How To Add Apple Pay Without a Debit Card?
There are several ways to add a card to Apple Pay without a debit card. For example, you can add an iTunes gift card or your credit card by scanning it with the camera or entering the information manually.
In addition, if you have an American Express card, you can also add it using your AmEx app.
Gas Stations That Take Apple Pay Near Me Summary
Contactless and cashless payments are a convenient, rapid, and secure alternative to cash or credit card transactions. Because your phone authenticates the payment types, you don’t need an ID to make purchases. In addition, your Wallet app lets you make a purchase without a credit card.
It’s excellent news for consumers because they now have another convenient way to pay for gas. It’s also good for merchants because it might encourage consumers to spend more money when filling up their cars at the pump.
Also, see our guide on 87 Restaurants That Take Apple Pay Near Me – Fast Food & Delivery.