Credit cards are among the most important financial tools we have today. They allow you to earn cash and rewards for purchases you make every day. So it’s not surprising that there are over 365 million open credit card accounts in the US alone, with around 80% of adults owning at least one credit card.
They’re also useful budgeting tools that allow you to track monthly spending. Furthermore, credit card payments make it easier to avoid losses from fraud. Transactions are tracked and can be frozen almost immediately if suspicious activity is detected, such as a stolen credit card.
It’s not uncommon for people to have a credit card and peer-to-peer (P2P) payment apps like Cash App, one of the most popular P2P apps available today. Perhaps you’re wondering if the two financial tools can be integrated.
So, can you link a credit card to Cash App?
Short Answer: Yes, you can link a credit card to a Cash App account. You can link cards from major credit card companies, such as American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover. Linking your credit card to Cash App allows you to use the funds on your card without disclosing any sensitive information about your account or credit card.
Read our step-by-step guide on how to and if you have problems linking your credit card to Cash App.
Table of Contents
Can You Link a Credit Card to Cash App?
Yes, you can link major credit cards to Cash App, such as Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. Then, users can use Visa debit cards or credit cards linked to their Cash App account to make payments.
Linking your credit card to your Cash App account means you no longer have to disclose sensitive bank account and credit card information. Although the process of linking your credit card is simple, you’ll first need to add your bank account or debit card. However, Cash App charges a 3% fee for sending money with a credit card.
You can still receive money if you don’t link a bank account or credit card to your Cash App, but you cannot cash out or send money to others. For example, you won’t be able to transfer money from Cash App to Netspend or borrow money.
As a result, you may get a message that Cash App payment failed for my protection. For this reason, we suggest linking your card to access all the Cash App features.
See our guide on how to send money from Chime to Cash App.
How to Add a Credit Card to Cash App?
Cash App makes adding a credit card easy on your mobile devices.
Steps to add a new credit card to Cash App:
- Launch Cash App on your iPhone or Android device.
- Select “My Cash” at the top left corner of the home screen.
- Locate your bank information by scrolling down, then tap the “Add a Credit Card” tab under the name of the bank account.
- You will need your credit card number, expiration date, and CVV number.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
- Enter your PIN-code or Touch ID for confirmation to verify your Cash App identity.
See our guide on how to transfer money from GreenDot to Cash App.
Can You Link a Prepaid Credit Card to Cash App?
Yes, you can link a prepaid credit card to Cash App. However, you can only send money with a prepaid card since you cannot use Cash App to deposit money onto prepaid cards.
In addition, you cannot directly link ATM cards, PayPal, and business debit cards to your Cash App account.
See our guide on free nearby ATMs for Cash App.
Why Can’t I Link Credit Card on Cash App?
There are several reasons you’re unable to link a credit card to your Cash App account.
Here’s why you can’t link a credit card to Cash App:
- Blocked Card – Double-check the linked credit card for issues. For example, your card may be temporarily blocked if unused for a prolonged period. We suggest contacting your credit card issuer for more information or clearing any holds.
- Unsupported Card – Cash App supports most debit and credit cards from major card companies; there are unsupported issuers. In addition, Cash App doesn’t support some payment cards that charge additional fees for transactions. Finally, business debit cards, ATM cards, and PayPal are not accepted.
- Expired Card – In general, payment apps like Cash App do not accept expired cards. So, make sure your credit card hasn’t expired before linking to the app.
- Entered The Wrong Information – It’s understandable and common for users to enter incorrect credit card or bank account numbers. Verify everything before sending your details.
- Wrong Linking Process –For example, the user should have linked the bank account before linking the credit card. Also, you must add your debit card before linking your credit card if you haven’t already done so.
See our guide on ways to fix why Cash App can’t link card at this time.
How to Add Cash from Credit Card to Cash App?
You can easily add money from your credit card to your Cash App.
Steps on how to add cash from a credit card to Cash App:
- Launch Cash App on your iPhone or Android device.
- Enter the amount you want to send.
- Tap “Pay” and specify the source of funds. For example, you’d select your credit card or bank name.
- Provide your phone number, email address, or $Cashtag.
- Indicate the purpose of the payment.
- Confirm by tapping “Pay.”
Cash App will charge a 3% fee of the total transaction amount when you use your credit card to add money. However, use your debit card or bank account for fee-free transactions.
See our guide on linking Cash App to Robinhood.
Link a Credit Card to Cash App Summary
Cash App allows you to link your credit card. Many major credit card companies you can link to your Cash App, including American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover.
See our guide on how to transfer money from a gift card to Cash App or Apple Pay.