A pedometer is an electronic or electromechanical device used to measure one’s level of activity, especially activities like walking or running. It’s achieved by measuring the movements of things like an arm, hips, or feet during motion.
A pedometer is handy for people who love to keep track of their daily activities. For example, it’s nearly impossible to track how many steps you take in a day with all the activities. But, on the other hand, a pedometer can detect these movements, keep track of them, and even differentiate different movements like walking, running, or climbing up the stairs. As a result, they’re popular among sport and fitness enthusiasts and people interested in increasing their physical activity.
There are many advantages and reasons for using a pedometer, including:
- Measure how much energy a person expends in a day: A pedometer can measure the amount of energy expended by an individual. It counts the number of steps taken, distance traveled, and calories burnt during physical activities.
- Useful for fitness prescriptions: They’re popular fitness “prescriptions” by physicians to their patients. Not only for their features but also because it’s more affordable than other fitness devices like a smartwatch or Fitbit.
- Easy and affordable weight loss and fitness guide: A pedometer is an easy and inexpensive assistant for weight loss and fitness exercise. It enables users to keep track of their step count and specific exercises and workout routines, such as running and hiking.
- Personal activity tracker: Some people just like to know and always want to keep track of their physical activities. A pedometer is an easy and cheap way to keep track of an individual’s daily physical activities. It’s recommended that all adults should take at least 10,000 steps per day.
How Do Pedometers Work?
A pedometer is a device used to keep track of one’s physical activities. It’s built with a small hand that moves up and down in unison with the user’s hips, hands, or feet during motion. For example, the pedometer keeps track of walking and running and tracks other activities like bending down, climbing up a staircase, and even sitting down.
There are two main types of pedometers, including the spring-levered and piezoelectric pedometers.
A spring-levered pedometer is more suitable for slow people, and it’s not as sensitive as a piezoelectric pedometer. For example, a tilt in the spring-levered pedometer can affect its accuracy, whereas a tilt does not affect the accuracy of a piezoelectric pedometer.
Some pedometers are worn on ankles, wrists, belts, and even shoes. In addition, due to technological advancements, devices like mobile phones and smartwatches are designed with built-in pedometers.
A shoe pedometer is simply a pedometer that is attached to one’s shoe or shoelace. Some physical activities may make it inconvenient to wear a pedometer on your waistband, pocket, or even on your wrist. In such cases, a shoe pedometer could be the best option.
Why buy a shoe pedometer instead of an Apple Watch or Fitbit?
A shoe pedometer is small and designed to fit either into or onto your shoes. Therefore, a shoelace pedometer is best if you want it solely for your shoes. Furthermore, a shoe pedometer is cheap, so you don’t have to break the bank to afford one.
It’s small, very lightweight, and sometimes made with plastic, so it’s easy to move around with it on your shoes. An Apple Watch, on the other hand, is more expensive and relatively large. A smartwatch can be bothersome when doing intense physical activities while worrying about damaging your Apple Watch or Fitbit.
The most significant advantage of a smartwatch vs. a pedometer for shoes is its aesthetics. Wearing a shoe pedometer is not considered trendy clothing for an office or formal attire that you’ll see sold on sites like Poshmark.
A wide variety of pedometers for shoes is available with different features, designs, price points, and various brands.
We’ve made a list of the top 5 pedometers for shoes and their features, including:
1. iGANK Simple Walking Pedometer Step Counter
iGANK is arguably the best pedometer for shoes because of its many functions and features. It’s less than 3 inches in length with an easy clip-on on its back to easily attach to your shoes, belt, or even a lanyard.
It’s an affordable pedometer if you want to get serious with your workout and fitness habits. The pedometer also keeps track of other physical activities such as walking time, aerobic steps, distance traveled, and even how many calories you’ve burned.
- Track Your Steps accurately :The PD301 walking 3D pedometer uses the professional 3D Tri-Axis sensor to track your daily activities.
- A Pedometer only Track Steps:Non-Bluetooth,No Time,No complicated settings,Just take it and start your walking!
- Creative Carabiner Design:No lanyard or clip required,Just hook it to your belt loop,you can also put it in your pocket or bag. Simple design makes it easy to use.
One of the best features of this pedometer is its accuracy from its dual-axis acceleration sensor. It’s impressive because the movement or change in position of the pedometer doesn’t affect its accuracy. What’s more, it can store your information for as long as 42 days.
The iGANK simple walking pedometer step counter software is designed to provide more knowledge and insight on your fitness journey. It can make recommendations as well as help you plan future fitness exercises. In addition, the iGANK comes with a CR2032 lithium battery that can last for up to twelve months with constant use, so you don’t have to worry about charging or changing your battery often. Unlike constantly charging your phone, most pedometers have a long lifecycle.
- Made from durable plastic
- Readings are precise and accurate
- Stores up to 42 days of exercise data
- CR2032 battery can last up to 12 months long
2. 3DFitBud Simple Step Counter Walking 3D Pedometer with clip and lanyard
The 3DFitBud Simple Step Counter Walking 3D Pedometer for shoes is easy to use with a one-button reset. It’s quite accurate in its step counting, designed with a large screen, doesn’t require constant charging, and is easy to set up.
- SIMPLE & EASY TO USE - 3D Pedometer for Steps Only. It is ready to use straight out of the package. The simple feature and design makes it user friendly for men, women, kids & the elderly who want to...
- TRACK YOUR DAILY STEPS – Created with simplicity but effectively counts your steps so you can still view your progress on the move motivating you more to achieve your fitness goal. No more other...
- ACCURATE READING - It has advanced 3D Tri-Axis Sensor technology - much more accurate than most pedometers. 3D Tri-Axis Sensor technology is known to provide superior accuracy in reading steps in any...
The 3DFitBud Simple Step Counter Pedometer can simply be clipped onto your shoes, lanyard, bra strap, or belt buckle. It features a tri-axis sensor which allows it to track and record data accurately without being affected by the motion or position of the pedometer. In addition, it’s designed with an auto-sleep feature that extends the battery’s life and reactivates when you start moving again.
- Easy to set up and use
- Able to wear on different locations, not just for shoes and shoelaces
- A larger display screen makes reading easier for the user
- Long battery life that lasts up to 1-year
- It doesn’t sync with a smartwatch
- Not rechargeable
The 3D Pedometer features a simple and user-friendly interface with several features. It comes ready to use with no hassle to set it up and a clip and strap for multiple places to mount it, like your arm or shoelaces.
The large and clear, easy-to-read display conveniently shows your accurate step count, walking distance in miles or kilometers, calorie count, exercise time, or daily target monitor.
- ACCURATELY TRACK YOUR ACTIVITY – The 3DTriSport Walking 3D Pedometer uses the latest 3D Tri-Axis Sensor Technology to Track your Daily Activity with Superb Accuracy. Records your Steps (Walking &...
- EASY TO SET UP & USE – Looking for a Simple Pedometer to Set Up? The 3DTriSport Pedometer is the Perfect Choice! Easy to follow User Manual or watch the helpful Setup and Operation Videos to guide...
- SMART & ACCURATE - With the latest 3D Tri-Axis Sensor Technology to Accurately Record your Activity in any position – Clip it to your Waist, wear it around your Neck with the included Lanyard or...
It’s manufactured with a 3D Tri-axis sensor that enables the pedometer to track and record activities accurately. In addition, the Realalt pedometer for shoes comes with an eBook, customer support, and an 18-month warranty with a 100% satisfaction guarantee return policy.
- User friendly
- Large multi-display screen with a built-in clock
- Customer support and warranty
- Only counts steps and doesn’t track other activities
The OZO Fitness SC2 Digital Pedometer spells class and elegance alongside its accuracy in tracking physical activities. It measures steps taken, distance covered, time spent during physical activity, and calories burnt. In addition, the 3D Tri-axis sensor enhances its accuracy.
The OZO Fitness SC2 Digital Pedometer for shoes is an all-in-one product when it comes to design. It features a large LCD screen with large buttons that make it easy to read and set up while still small and portable. In addition, the OZO pedometer can be attached to your shoe during physical activity and is small enough to conceal.
It’s an excellent value for the money option that does not require any Internet connection to work. The auto-dimming screen conserves the lithium battery. In addition, OZO offers 24/7 online chat support, step-by-step video instructions, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Accurate physical activity tracker with audible alerts when goals are reached
- Easy to set up and use
- Auto-dimming screen conserves battery power
- Portable and concealable on shoes and clothing
- Large screen and buttons for easy use for older users
- The pedometer can be attached to shoes, shoelaces, belts, pockets, etc.
- Recorded data is easily lost or erased
The Track4Life health activity tracker is designed to attach the pedometer to your shoelaces instead of your hip or pocket. The device accurately measures your steps, distance, and it’s also a calorie counter.
- Measure your progress Accurately, keep track of your daily walking routine with the Track4life Pedometer. Accurate and easy to use, will always show the right step count.
- Light and Comfortable, attach it to your shoe lace instead of your pocket or hip, run or walk Freely, It will track every single step without miscounting, so you can enjoy your exercise worry free.
- Multifunction: Step, Distance and Calorie counter helps you have complete information of your improvement and be motivated to go further each day! Will fit all types of shoes with shoelaces
Attach the shoelace pedometer to your favorite discount sneakers with constant measurement of your movement. It’s explicitly designed to be attached as a pedometer for shoelaces, and it won’t be attached to Velcro shoes.
The manufacturer offers an unbeatable 24-month no-questions-asked guarantee.
- Comfortable and lightweight makes for easy wearing
- Multi-function monitor
- Performs several actions outside tracking step count
- No questions asked 24-month guarantee
- Easy to operate and use
- Won’t work on Velcro shoes
- Manual reset each time you want to set a new fitness goal
There are certain things to keep in mind when choosing a shoe pedometer, including:
When choosing a pedometer for shoes, you want something comfortable and light. Lightweight pedometers make running and walking easier without carrying extra weight. You also want something made for shoes, like a shoelace pedometer, to ensure that it can easily attach.
You want shoe pedometers that will last a long time and is sturdy. In addition, a good pedometer for shoes should be water-resistant and also withstand minor accidents.
There are different types of shoe pedometers and each with varying accuracy. For example, piezoelectric pedometers are more accurate and would be a good choice for a shoe pedometer.
Some pedometers are more advanced than others; some are very simple, while others are feature-rich. For example, if you like your pedometer to track specific exercises or workout sessions, you’ll want a programmable device. Some only track the number of steps a person takes in a day, while others can perform both tasks.
Most purchased come down to your budget. Luckily, the top pedometers for shoes are cheap and affordable compared to other devices, like smartwatches. So it’s always easy to find one within your budget.
Best Pedometers for Shoes Summary
There are several options, but you can never go wrong with a shoe pedometer for convenience. Also, if you don’t want a clip-on pedometer, you can always get a chip pedometer that is fixed inside your shoe. Finally, many devices connect with your smartphone using a Bluetooth shoe pedometer, unlike some electronics like computers for a Cricut Maker that needs to connect via USB.