Upgrade Your Jiffy Baking Mixes
One of my favorite things to do is take an inexpensive boxed baking mix or even a cake mix and giving it an upgrade. Although I love to bake from scratch, there is often no many things to buy and many of them are expensive. So this is a great way to give an inexpensive mix a frugal but yummy upgrade.
Jiffy Mixes are awesome for this purpose! I grab them when they are under a buck and keep them in the cupboard.
- These are the best little boxed baking mixes. I love to pick them up at the Dollar Store. They last forever in the cupboard and are easy for kids to make. Here are a few upgrades that are inexpensive:
- Cornbread Mixes: Add canned chilies and a dash of pepper for a spicy cornbread
- Cake Mix: Add cocoa for a chocolate cake
- Cake Mix: Add pureed freeze dried fruit (it should look like a powder when you are done)
- Cookie Mix: Add chocolate chips, nuts, left over crushed pretzels, and even raisins and make compost cookies
- Pizza Crust: This makes awesome flatbread if you brush it well with olive oil before baking
How do you use Jiffy Mixes?