Frugal Living Tip: Make Your Own Spaghetti Sauce
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce:
While there are some pretty tasty jarred spaghetti sauces out there, there is nothing like homemade sauce! You can even score some for super cheap too. If you have the time (which I do) then making it from scratch it definitely the way to go.
Homemade sauce is not only cheaper but it taste better and has zero preservatives/additives.
Kroger is famous for their clearanced produce section. They will bag up bruised produced and price it super low for a buck a bag! I usually snag about 5 bags (10-15lb) of tomatoes and make a super big pot of sauce.
Real simple to make:
- Wash and remove stickers.
- Cut and remove core. Medium-large dice is fine.
- Add to stock pot.
- Add seasonings, onions, couple cans of tomato paste.
- Bring to boil then simmer.
- Simmer for several hours. The longer the better the taste. I usually max 6 hours.