I’m going to review the best ping pong table for your needs. My kids wanted a pingo pong table for Christmas and did my research before CyberMonday. I did not know there were so many types of ping pong tables. For example:
- Indoor or outdoor table ping pong table? Will you need a cover if it’s outside?
- Do you want a table tennis conversion top over 9’ pool table?
- How about a pool table and ping pong table combo?
- Or maybe an air hockey table tennis combo?
- Do you want the best folding ping pong table to store in a small room?
- Do you want the best pingo pong table under $300? $1000? $200?
- How much does a ping pong table cost? It depends on whether this is for your kids in the basement or leagues at the office.
- Is there a difference between the ping pong table brands?
- What about table tennis supplies and equipment? Grips and paddles?
- What the best table tennis racket? What about for an intermediate player or professional?
Yes, I agree, the more I looked, the more questions I had. I’ll help you answer these questions and find the best table tennis table for your specific needs.
Difference Between Ping Pong Table and Table Tennis
Ping Pong naming rights were acquired by a gaming company and threatened legal action without specifically using their gaming equipment. Hence, the name table tennis was created as an alternative for clubs and tournaments. The difference between ping pong table and table tennis is ping pong is considered more recreational. They are essentially the same with no major differences with small variations. The small difference between ping pong table rules and table tennis rules include:
- The table tennis ball is thrown six inches or more above an open hand and behind the baseline. Ping pong balls can be hit out of the servers hand or after it bounces on the table.
- In table tennis, each player has two serves at a time and each game goes up to 11 points.Generally, ping pong has 21 point scoring with each player alternating between five serves.
Top Rated Ping Pong Tables and Brands
The top rated ping pong tables and brands include:
- Killerspin is a luxury ping pong table company to create engaging experiences outside of technology in 2001. They manufacture tables, paddles, and accessories.
- STIGA Sports has been manufacturing table tennis tables for over 60 years and has partners in over 100 countries. They produces blades, rubbers, bats, shoes, clothing, balls, bags, tables, and accessories. STIGA ping pong table reviews catalog here
- Cornilleau manufactures blades, rubbers, bats, and outdoor ping pong tables sold in over 75 countries around the world.Cornilleau table tennis catalog here
- Joola began a partnership with the USA Table Tennis governing body. For over 60 years, Joola has manufactured in Germany wireless table tennis robots, rackets, balls, racket carrying case, portable table tennis nets, clothing, tennis table covers, and indoor table tennis tables. Joola table tennis shoes are cheaper, durable, breathable, trendy, fashionable, and provide good grip on most surfaces.
- Butterfly was founded in 1950 in Tokyo, Japan. Butterfly produces high performance table tennis equipment including clothing, balls, shakehand and penhold blades, rackets, socks, footwear, nets, bags, robots, grips, and rubbers. Butterfly table tennis conversion top, professional, outdoor, and table covers have been manufactured since inception. Butterfly table tennis shop catalog here.
How Much Does a Ping Pong Table Cost?
The cost of a ping pong table ranges depending on your budget and type of ping pong table for the money. The average ping pong table costs anywhere from $200 – $400 for an indoor table. An outdoor ping pong table ranges from $500 – $700. You can also buy a conversion top that goes on top of your pool table or dining room table. Also, a professional or custom ping pong table can cost $1500 or more.
Best Outdoor Table Tennis Table
The best outdoor table tennis table is the JOOLA aluminum with weatherproof net set.
- TOURNAMENT QUALITY OUTDOORS: Competition-grade 9x5 foot regulation size outdoor table tennis table and net set perfect for your deck, backyard or playground. Made by the official table brand of US Open and US Nationals Championships. USATT Approved.
- ALLWEATHER TABLE AND NET: Tabletop is a durable 6mm thick aluminum plastic composite surface, resistant to warping and chipping. The table sits on a 30mm x 30mm rust-resistant, powder-coated undercarriage. Comes with a matching weatherproof net set.
- NO HASSLE, QUICK SET-UP: Comes 95% pre-assembled. Assembly time: 15 minutes and you're ready to play! Simply attach the legs with only 8 bolts TOTAL. Tournament grade net is a classic screw clamp design for easy attachment.
The best outdoor table tennis table has a sturdy frame and made with a mixture of wood, metal, and finished with a protective coating from the rain and sun. The outdoor ping pong table surface will absorb some of the ball’s energy. The ball will not bounce as high and move as fast. Over time, the ping pong ball bounce consistency will vary as the surface will wear differently and have dead spots.
The JOOLA outdoor table tennis table provides a decent bounce for the balls for a good price. It has a durable weatherproof composite playing surface. The folding ping pong table also has a rust-resistant powder coated undercarriage. The 3” heavy-duty caster wheels make the fold up table very portable.
The table tennis rubber thickness is 6mm thick including the aluminum and plastic composite. It’s composite top reduces the ball bounce a bit making it a better for recreational games vs professional play.
What makes this table the best outdoor ping pong table in our review is the price and assembly. It’s materials, assembly, and durability make this a great value. The folding ping pong table assembly instructions is very straightforward and easy to put together.
Best Indoor Ping Pong Table
The best indoor ping pong table is the JOOLA 15mm with net set.
- TOURNAMENT QUALITY AT HOME: Competition-grade 9x5 foot regulation size indoor table tennis table and net set perfect for your home, office or community center. Made by the official table brand of US Open and US Nationals Championships. USATT Approved.
- NO HASSLE, QUICK SET-UP: Comes 95% pre-assembled. Assembly time NOW REDUCED: 10 minutes and you're ready to play! Simply attach the legs with only 8 bolts TOTAL. Tournament grade net is a simple clamp design for easy attachment.
- RELIABLE/LEVEL PLAY: Durable 5/8 inch (15 mm) thick medium-density fiberboard (MDF) multi-layer painted surface for a consistent and reliable ball bounce. The table sits on thick steel legs with leg height adjusters to ensure a level playing surface.
The JOOLA ping pong table size in feet is regulation 9 feet by 5 feet. JOOLA makes top rated ping pong tables for the US Nationals and US Open.
It’s perfect for indoor use since it’s compact, portable, and foldable in half. You can position the other half vertically so you can play with yourself. The playback mode is perfect when you don’t have a partner.
Even though the JOOLA Inside weighs 140 pounds, it’s still very portable. The strong caster legs with 4 trolley wheels allow for easy mobility for one-person use.
The indoor ping pong table comes 95% assembled. It takes less than 20-minutes to setup. It’s a perfect and quick Christmas gift to assemble in the morning or the night before. Simply use the 8 bolts to attach the legs and clamp on the adjustable tension net.
It’s constructed with a 15mm thick wood composite surface. The JOOLA tabletop offers consistent ball bounce and durability. Do not use this ping pong table outdoors because the humidity and heat will warp the table. Store it in a relatively dry and cool area to keep the table surface the best indoor ping pong table.
15mm thick tabletop is good enough for casual players and beginners. Intermediate players would prefer the JOOLA 18mm or 25mm professional ping pong table for better ball bounce and speed. A thicker professional ping pong table playing surface will cost twice as much.
All these features make the JOOLA the best indoor ping pong table.
Solo playback mode
Great ping pong table under $400
Table tennis rubber thickness is only 15mm
Indoor ping pong table only
No paddles or additional equipment included
Package upon arrival weighs 197 pounds and likely needs two people
Best Table Tennis Conversion Top
Martin Kilpatrick Table Tennis Conversion Top – Pool Table Ping Pong Top – Choose Blue, Green, or Grey Colors – Optional Ping Pong Paddle Set – Net Set and Protection Pads Included – 3 Year Warranty Ping Pong Table Topper
- MARTIN KILPATRICK GAME TABLES - Convert your pool table or dining table to play ping pong
- WARRANTY - This pool table topper has a 3 yr warranty
- FOAM PROTECTION - Foam pads are included to protect your pool table conversion top
The best table tennis conversion top is the Martin Kilpatrick. It’s a ping pong conversion top for 9’ pool table that’s done with ease. The table top is quick to assemble and perfect to store away when not used. The Martin Kilpatrick craftsmanship comes with a generous 3-year warranty.
The table tennis conversion top is a durable ¾ inch thick. Protection rails are 1.5 inches thick and add to the 5 inches thick table top for stability. The top is a regulation size of 9 feet x 5 feet. Its foam pads protect your pool table from getting scratched.
The Martin Kilpatrick table tennis conversion top comes with posts and net set. Kilpatrick has a unique net post structure that do not clamp under the table. The unique design does not push the table up on a slant and stays completely flat, unlike many competitors.
A regular ping pong player will notice a height difference. Anytime you put a table tennis conversion top on a pool table, it will be higher than standard ping pong table size. An alternative to a ping pong conversion top for 9’ pool table would be on top an air hockey table. You can use the 9’ Kilpatrick to make an air hockey table tennis combo.
Kilpatrick high quality conversion tops have favorable reviews in search engines. Most of the negative comments are related to shipping and the retailer.
Each half comes with surface connectors for stability
Weighs around 90 pounds which is lighter than many
Includes net set
ITTF approved regulation size conversion top
Removable rails make it removable and steady
Expensive ping pong table
Not to be used outdoors in the sun and rain
Best Ping Pong Table Under $300
The best ping pong table under $300 is the STIGA Space Saver Compact. It’s a small ping pong table if you are short on space. It should fit in any office space, basement, or room for entertainment.
- Compact table perfect for tight spaces measuring only 71" L x 40.5" W x 30"
- Free up space when not in use with convenient folding storage position
- Separate table halves can be used as multi-purpose tables for entertaining
To buy the best ping pong table under $300, you get one that is approximately 2/3 the size of a standard regulation table. The STIGA dimensions of the ping pong table are 71 inches long by 40.5 inches wide. Regular players will feel comfortable playing its regulation ping pong table height of 30-inches tall.
Unlike traditional ping pong tables the STIGA Space Saver Compact rarely has delivery and packing issues. The table comes pre-assembled and has great packaging and protection.
You simply unfold the legs and attach the net for game play. The materials and build quality are very sturdy. It’s manufactured with an MDF table top and silk screen striping. STIGA uses a 5/8 inch thick table top which is the same thickness as full sized STIGA ping pong table.
The 1.25” square welded steel legs are powder coated to prevent rusting. Each leg has a molded rubber adjustable foot to provide a level table top and prevent scratches to the floor. The adjustable feet also prevent table wobbling which produces a consistent bounce.
The included posts are fairly cheap and may not last the lifetime of the table.
No assembly required and play within minutes
Best cheap ping pong table for under $200
Portable tennis table you can store in a closet or under a bed
No playback mode
Not ITTF certified regulation size but keeps correct ratios
Net posts are cheap quality
Best Ping Pong Table Under $200
- MULTIPLE USE TABLES: Each half of the Midsize Table is almost a perfect square making the 2 halves great as separate standing multi-use tables when not in play
- COMPACT STORAGE: Legs fold in and the separate halves can be placed together and easily stored in most closets or even under the bed. Storage dimensions: 36 x 36 inches
- REGULATION QUALITY: Standard table tennis table height with a smaller surface space perfect for compact areas like apartments, kid rooms, basements or dorm rooms. Feels like you're playing on a regulation-sized table
The best ping pong table under $200 is the JOOLA Midsize Compact. JOOLA, founded in the 1950’s, makes world famous table tennis equipment.
It’s about 2/3 the size of a standard ping pong table. It’s dimensions are 71 x 36 x 30 (W x D x H). JOOLA manufactures this ping pong table under $200 with the same 5/8 inch thick top quality surface. The Midsize Compact is made with the same luxury ping pong tables material.
The JOOLA Midsize Compact is the best ping pong table for home, office, or basement use. It’s also great starter as a kids ping pong table given it only weighs 62 pounds.
The posts and net are very average. Unlike typical posts, they don’t extend outside of the edge of the table. It makes wide shots from the outside easier. To buy a quality miniature ping pong table from JOOLA under $200 is a good for the money.
Portable and weighs only 62 pounds
5/8” table tennis rubber thickness is similar to professional tables
Good for small space for ping pong table
Not ITTF certified
Packaging makes it susceptible to damage during delivery
Only 2/3 the size of a standard table tennis table
Net doesn’t extend outside of the table edge
Leg length is not adjustable
Table Tennis Paddle Reviews
Paddles can be different, just like there is a difference between ping pong table and table tennis. A table tennis paddle consists of a handle, forehand rubber and sponge, blade, and backhand rubber and sponge. You need to spend time researching table tennis paddle reviews to know which one is best for your style and experience.
Ping Pong Grips for Paddles
Most players use a handshake ping pong grip when holding a table tennis paddle. Though, mostly in Asia, some players use Penhold ping pong grips.
Ping Pong Blades
The blade is the rounded solid part that determines your power upon impact. If you like to be more offensive and attack, then choose a lighter and more rigid ping pong paddle. The best defensive table tennis blade for control is heavier and is softer. The best carbon blade table tennis has 5 or more layers of material and is light offers speed.
Best Ping Pong Paddle for Spin
Spin is created by the player. The three types of spin for ping pong include topspin, backspin, and sidespin. Creating the various types of spin are done with your racket angle. The best ping pong paddle for spin are dependent on the type of rubber. The type of rubber will considerably affect the amount of spin and its direction.
Best Ping Pong Paddle
To buy the best ping pong paddle, we suggest finding a middle of the road table tennis racket.
The best ping pong paddle for a universal player will be rated in the 80’s. Each ping pong paddle has a rating for power, control, and spin. Depending on the paddle manufacture, the scale can either be a 10-point or 100-point scale.
The blade and handle can be made of laminated wood glued together or fiberglass or carbon fiber that absorbs energy and is lighter weight. A higher number means the ball will move faster for a stronger return. The negative is you lose some control and less defensive as a player. You want a power rating below 9.
Control is mostly determined by the quality of the rubber, padding thickness, and direction of the grain. Generally, you have more control when the rubber is tacky. Tacky rubber will allow for better placement of the ping pong ball.
Spin is determined by the rubber installation and quality on the blade. The greater the spin, the harder it is for your opponent to return your ball. Rubber pips facing the blade provide higher spin. Plus, lighter paddles made of carbon fiber or fiberglass allow for faster movement allowing faster spin.
Best Ping Pong Paddle under 50 dollars
The best ping pong paddle on a budget for all players is the Stiga Titan. The Stiga Titan paddle is great for a beginner because it’s not too tacky and fast. The best ping pong paddle can range from $10 to well over $100 while the Titan is very affordable.[aawpbox=”B003JK000I”]
STIGA has been manufacturing one of the best table tennis rackets for over 70 years. According to the STIGA website:
- Sponge: 2.0mm
- Handle: Italian composite
- Rubber: Custom made Inverted tournament rubber
- Blade: 5 plies of Balsa Tech with 5-ply extra light blade
It’s the best ping pong paddle under 50 dollars. Since it’s an inexpensive paddle compared to a professional, it has a slightly lower quality sponge and blade which reduces the speed.
We consider it the best ping pong paddle under $50 because it offers enough power and spin while offering control and accuracy to your shots. Its lightweight material allows for longer play with reduced fatigue.
See what others are saying about the Stiga Titan.
Best Table Tennis Paddle for Intermediate Player
The best table tennis paddle for intermediate player is the DHS Hurricane II. It offers incredible spin compared to most paddles though not as fast paced.
Unlike other tennis paddles for intermediate players, the Hurricane has two different types of rubber on each side of the blade. The backhand side uses G555 rubber which is very tacky and slows the ball and offers more control. The frontside is designed for an offensive player. It’s made with Hurricane rubber that offers lightning speed and tons of spin.
The DHS Hurricane II is packaged in a professional manner. It comes in a custom carrying case with two ping pong balls, and a protection band. The case is perfect for traveling or as a birthday or holiday gift.
Though the Hurricane II is an expensive ping pong paddle, it’s the best table tennis paddle for intermediate player. It’s a terrific racket with a thoughtful carrying case and packaging.
- DHS HURRICANE-II Table Tennis Shakehand Racquet
- Rubber: Red Pimples In / Black Pimples In
- Fitted Play: All-Round; Comes in one racket with cover and two balls in gift box
Professional Table Tennis Paddles
We recommend the Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5-FL Tenergy 80 FX Proline on of the best professional table tennis paddles. It’s an expensive ping pong paddle and the best on our list. The Butterfly has all the best features. It has tremendous spin and speed but still offers consistent and precise returns. An offensive player will look for ping pong paddle speed rating in the 9’s.
The Tenergy 80 Proline is built with high quality materials like a custom table tennis paddle. It’s built using the Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 blade and the thick fast-paced Tenergy 80 FX rubber. The rubber is perfect for the offensive player.
If money is no object or you just want to buy the best professional table tennis paddle, then buy the Carbo X5-FL. It’s much better than the STIGA Pro Carbon but costs about four-times as much.
- PROFESSIONAL RACKET: This is the ideal racket for power play with great spin
- CARBON POWER BLADE: This high-tech racket made of carbon fiber reinforced plies offers increased speed and a larger sweet spot compared to an all-wood racket
- HIGH QUALITY RUBBER: This ping pong paddle is equipped with Tenergy 80 offering a great balance of high speed and heavy spin
Most Expensive Ping Pong Paddle
- 🏓 PROFESSIONAL GRADE EQUIPMENT - Our ITTF-approved competition rubbers and a 7-Ply composite wood and titanium carbon fiber blade will make for some seriously powerful shots.
- 🏓 SUPERIOR CONSTRUCTION - Our Diamond TC RTG is constructed of the highest quality materials. The blade consists of 5 premium wood layers and 2 titanium carbon fiber layers. Killerspin's professional grade Fortissimo rubbers provide powerful spin
- 🏓 ENHANCED ACCURACY - The professional grade rubbers ensure the greatest accuracy with every shot. Ratings are: Control 8.2; Spin 9.4; Speed 10.0.
The most expensive ping pong paddle we feel comfortable recommending is the Killerspin Diamond TC RTG Premium. Technically, the Butterfly Zhang Jike Super ZLC Blade with Bryce High Speed 2.1 is the most expensive ping pong paddle. Some of the reviews weren’t as favorable so we feel more comfortable recommending a racket with higher satisfaction while saving a couple hundred dollars.
The Killerspin Diamond TC RTG Premium is designed for a professional or the best table tennis paddle for intermediate player. What sets it apart from competitors is the 7-ply composite wood and titanium carbon fiber blade. The two grips use ITTF-approved Fortissimo rubber. The thin rubber absorbs the speed which helps on your return and allows the ability for the best spin. It’s design allows for better power, spin, and precision.
The racket makes a perfect gift with its personalized memory book. Not only is it great for a birthday gift or a holiday, but it also protects your racket from damage during transit.
The Killerspin Diamond line is one of the ITTF approved professional ping pong paddles. It is a custom table tennis paddle built for ultra-fast dynamic tournament play.
Who Should Buy a Custom Table Tennis Paddle
For an intermediate player, you can either buy a paddle off the shelf or a custom table tennis paddle. It doesn’t really matter since you’ll likely upgrade to a professional racket within 12-18 months. This will not be your forever ping pong paddle.
The benefit of a custom table tennis paddle is you can choose any combination of materials. You can choose thicker table tennis rubber thickness on the back of your paddle to make it faster and thinner rubber on the front for slower shots.
A professional will have gone through multiple paddles by the time they understand their needs. A professional will understand the subtle differences in the rubber and weight of their racket.
It is no surprise that a custom table tennis paddle will cost more than a ready-made racket. You’re paying for customization, extra quality of material, and your time. Though, a custom table tennis paddle isn’t as expensive as you’d think since you’re only dealing with rubber, wood, and composite.
You always want to upgrade to a paddle that’s incrementally faster and offers a bit more spin.
If you’re looking for a custom table tennis paddle with a custom logo or photo, click here.
Best Table Tennis Balls
The official size of a ping pong ball is 25mm in diameter vs 27mm table tennis balls. The International Table Tennis Federation has chosen plastic polystyrene as the standard for all official events. The alternative is a celluloid ball which usually is more durable and priced cheaper.
We recommend the KEVENZ 50-Pack 3-Star Plus 40mm Orange Table Tennis Balls. They meet regulation weight of 2.75g and regulation size of 40mm. The manufacturer tests for appropriate hardness and thickness to consistently sell the best table tennis balls.
- 50-Pack Orang balls, 3-Star Balls,40mm（not include ping pong paddle）
- Practice ball,suitable for beginner ,or play ping-pong less than one year
- Durable ,Consistent bounce, Great Spin, Good Control
Ping Pong Ball Stars
The best table tennis balls are 3 star ping pong balls. 3 star ping pong stars are the best balls and should be used for competition and matches. The 1-star and 2-star table tennis balls are much less durable. The cheaper 2-star and 1-star ping pong balls bulk 1000 are commonly for sale and recreational use.
3-star balls are the equivalent of 5-star table tennis balls of the highest rated tier balls.
No matter if you buy professional ping pong balls or cheap ping pong balls bulk, you need to treat them well. Do not leave them on the floor so people step on them or animals chew on them.
Best Table Tennis Shoes
The best table tennis shoes for men should have non-slip soles and be grippy. Table tennis shoes need to handle quick change of direction and fast footwork. Though it’s personal preference, most people prefer lightweight shoes.
Intermediate and professional table tennis players need to buy real shoes. Most will try wearing a pair of athletic shoes while casually playing. The problem with thick sole running shoes is potentially rolling your ankle while moving back-and-forth. The best table tennis shoes ae designed for lateral movement.
Best Table Tennis Shoes for Men
The best table tennis shoes for men are the Groove Butterfly. They are designed for comfort, tacky soles, and great fit.
The benefits of the Groove Butterfly table tennis shoes:
- Very thin durable midsole provides barefoot feeling
- Limits sideway rolls and shake
- Firm fit and hold
- Five cool colors including white, blue, black, navy, and pink.
Most Comfortable Tennis Shoes for Women
The most comfortable tennis shoes for women are the Butterfly Lezoline Rifones tables tennis shoes. The most recent table tennis shoe edition has torsion protection and shock absorption. The new technology makes these durable, grippy, and the most comfortable tennis shoes for women.
The benefits of the Butterfly Lezoline Rifones tennis shoes:
- Shock absorbing sponge in the forefoot for cushioning and flexibility
- Superior grip firmly assists your lateral footwork
- Perfect fit allows smooth slide motion and prevents undesired movement
- Cushioning protects your feet during rapid lateral movement and top performance
- Multiple colors: lime, blue, and pink
- Women’s shoe table tennis shoe sizes: 4.5 to 10
- BUTTERFLY TABLE TENNIS SHOE - Butterfly table tennis shoes are the preferred choice of top table tennis players
- EXTREME CUSHION - The B-Armor covers the front upper part with KPU material that cushions the forefoot and protects your foot during rapid movements
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT - Design prevents undesired movements and enhances the feeling of a perfect fit. The bridge-shaped middle sole supports a sliding motion during play
Best Table Tennis Robot
iPong V300 Table Tennis Training Robot with Oscillation and Wireless Remote
- New software to ensure consistency and accuracy
- Robot for learning and practicing table tennis without a partner featuring a wireless remote and digital display for easy control settings
- Adjustable features: ball frequency, side-to-side oscillation, topspin speed and backspin speed
The iPong V300 is the best table tennis robot with a number of advanced features. iPong, based in the USA, is a easy to use low-cost robot. It’s a perfect table tennis trainer from beginners to practicing advanced play.
It is capable of the follow:
- Feeding the ball with topspin or backspin
- Hold up to 110 ping pong balls
- Change the feeding speed of each ball
- Oscillate placement from side-to-side
iPong V300 is the best table tennis robot under $200 because it is small, lightweight, very portable, and affordable. The V300 model comes with a wireless remote control and digital display showing its oscillation. The remote control allows you to change the direction, speed, and spin of the ball.
You don’t have to refill it every 30 seconds since it holds up to 110 balls. You can shoot the balls at a frequency ranging from 12 to 70 balls per minute. The robot recommends 40mm balls for best performance. You can use either celluloid balls or new plastic ping pong balls.
The iPong table tennis robot is designed in the USA and made in China. It comes with a limited one-year manufactured warranty. The iPong is like a table tennis academy in a box.
Pros Shoots balls at different spin High capability holder Multi-function remote control Cons Occasionally balls get jammed
The best table tennis table and paddle review will depend on your level of play and your budget.